Based on our Corporate Philosophy of "living and prospering together with people, society and the globe" and in accordance with the Toyota Tsusho Group Environmental Policy, we will take action to respond to climate change, preserve forests and biodiversity, curb the use of resources and energy, use water effectively, and reduce water consumption in areas experiencing water stress.
1. In order to pass down a better global environment to the children of the future, as responsible corporate citizens, we strive to reduce the following impacts on the environment by preventing and reducing environmental pollution, while placing a high priority on not disturbing the global environment in conducting business.
- Contribute to the transition to a carbon neutral society, reduce greenhouse gas emissions through our business activities, and aim for carbon neutrality by reducing CO2 emissions from vehicles, manufacturing, and energy plant construction through the use of clean energy and innovative technologies.
- Strive to preserve forests and biodiversity
- Reduce consumption of resources and energy, and improve efficiency
- Effectively use water and reduce the amount of use in water stressed regions
2. We promote environment-related businesses, such as the efficient use of waste and the preservation of natural resources, and contribute to the realization of a recyclingoriented economy and society, while educing the discharge of waste through our business activities, in collaboration with our affiliates and business partners.
3. We comply with all environmental requirements, including environmental laws and regulations and industry guidelines.
4. We participate in activities to reduce impact on the environment by establishing an environmental management system and implementing Kaizen (continuous improvement) of these activities through periodic review and the application of creative ideas.
5. We enhance environmental awareness among employees by providing environmental training and promoting a thorough understanding of our environmental policy.
Establishment of an environmental management system
The Toyota Tsusho Group uses ISO 14001, an international standard for environmental management system, as a common tool for environmental management to support the implementation of our Environmental Policy. We are promoting the acquisition of certification at group globally.
Internal and third-party audits
To verify the efficacy and operational status of our environmental management system, the Toyota Tsusho Group conducts internal audits as well as third-party audits through external auditing organizations.
We verified organizations' environmental risk management levels, legal compliance, emergency response and other items, including the verification of risk assessment, especially for group companies for which we assess environmental risks.
Chemical management in consideration of human health and the environment in line with the EU REACH*1 regulations
Some of the substances used in industrial processes pose a pollution risk or can damage human health. The Toyota Tsusho Group uses and manages these substances in compliance with the various rules established by the European Union.
For example, our plastics processing plants and synthetic rubber processing plants manufacturing auto parts use plasticizers and flame retardants regulated by REACH.
As part of our substance management activities, we manage the amounts of each of the regulated substances and related compounds contained in products. Also, we confirm whether or not certain substances (SVHCs*2) are contained in molded items, and use and manage chemical substances in consideration of human health and the environment.
*1 Stands for "registration, evaluation, authorization and restriction of chemical substances" and an EU law on the use, handling and purposes of chemical substances
*2 Stands for "substances of very high concern" of which there is substantial concern about serious negative impact on the environment or human health